Friday, September 04, 2009

I Have the Ability to Make Grown Men Cry

Sadly, this includes myself.  Allow me to explain.  About a month and a half ago, I got to do one of the cooler things I've ever done in my life.  I had the opportunity to be a surprise guest at the wedding of a close friend.  If you get the chance, I highly recommend it.

His bride-to-be sent me an email about a month before asking if there was any way I could make it since there was potential for some of his key friends to not be able to make it.  I had already told him I couldn't twice in the past year since I knew I would be busy with school, so he was already sold.  However, a request from the bride seldom goes ungranted.  So I immediately bought a plane ticket and worked out my housing and car situations with some friends.

The plan was for me to show up at the rehearsal covertly and then, when they were practicing the vows, I was to make my big entrance during the whole "If anybody has any objections..." part.  So I did, and it was amazing.  He looked shocked and all the other groomsmen got all choked up.  I got choked up, but avoided actually speaking so I could dodge the whole shaky voice syndrome.  It was pretty great.  The wedding itself the next day was also great.  Easily one of the best ceremonies I've ever seen.  

I know this entry isn't necessarily funny, but I just had to get it out there because whenever I think about it I smile.

Also, I found out that there is no way I could ever be a ninja or a spy.  As I was waiting in hiding, I was giddier than a kid cracked out on caffeine on Christmas Eve.  I couldn't stop giggling.  When most people see a strange grown man giggling to himself hiding under a desk in their own home, they'd probably call the cops.  Thank God I got the right house.  Also, there was a moment when I almost got caught, but narrowly avoided it by diving to the ground (with ape-like agility) and doing a marine crawl into the next room.  I then locked myself in the bathroom.  The things we do for friendship.  Then I tittered some more.  

I couldn't imagine being an assassin of some type.  I'd be hiding in the closet ready to hit someone with a brainstem shot and then I'd chortle or guffaw or emit some other kind of equally retarded laugh, effectively giving away my position.  I'd be useless.

Regardless, Jamie and Jami, thank you for letting me a part of your day.  You two are great.

1 comment:

Bear and the Boy said...

Dude, it was the best surprise. I couldn't have been more excited to have you there. It was amazing.