Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Worst...Roommate...Ever

Okay, so a couple months back a meteor hit.  Sounds awesome, right?  Well it WAS awesome!  Believe it.  Sounds like something out of a movie, no?  Well, hold your horses there chief.  You haven't even let me tell you the whole scoop.  Let's all remember what happens when you assume.  You often look like a stupid dick...or something.  (Seems like there should be some kind of witty saying that goes along with that.  Either way.)

A month or two ago.  It's like 5 a.m. or so and I of course am sleeping.  I begin to stir for whatever reason (probably my superhuman psychic powers warning me that danger was near).  I roll onto my back and I'm half awake in one of those "what the hell time is it and why am I up" moments.  Suddenly, in the distance, I hear a fairly audible boom (or 'superthud' if you will) followed by THE ENTIRE HOUSE SHAKING.  It only shook for a few seconds, but it was definitely noticeable.  

Most people when confronted with this situation would probably leap out of bed to go and check on things: their house, their roommates, their car, etc.  You know, just to make sure the world wasn't actually ending.  Or at least they might sit up in bed and ponder for a minute about what they should do because something very obviously just happened outside.  I like to think that I stand apart from the pack.  Usually in a good way, but I'll take it however I can get it.  

My reaction?  I just laid there for a few seconds and then went back to bed.  But that's not the worst part.  The worst part came in those few seconds I laid there.  When faced with a possible life threatening situation (or at least a huge unknown), I remember thinking "Should I get up to check on my roommates?"  And then I thought "They're probably fine."  And then I thought "I mean, if there really is a life threatening situation, they'll probably come check on me because their room is closer to the danger (plus they're super nice like that)."  And then I thought "Should I feel bad about having thought any of these things?"  Followed by "Wait, what if they got hurt because their room is closer to the danger noise and now they can't come get me?"  And finally "God, all this thinking is making me tired.  I should probably get back to sleep.  Also, if they're already dead, they're still gonna be dead when I wake up."

Does that make me a bad roommate?  Or just the most logical?  Pick a side.

Oh, and here's the news story if you don't believe me:

- The Bean

No comments: